The first bite of cinnamon pancakes should be a delectable experience. The warm, fluffy cake should have you experiencing the warmth and spicy sweetness as only cinnamon can do. Keep on reading to find out what the best-tasting cinnamon pancake mix is and recipe ideas for when you want to make it from scratch!
What Makes Cinnamon Such a Great Spice for Pancakes?
Cinnamon just tastes good! Adding it to the batter’s richness and the sweetness of syrup or other toppings creates a flavor profile that can’t be matched!
Medical professionals are also taking a look at cinnamon and its potential benefits. According to The Cleveland Clinic, this spice:
- Has anti-inflammatory properties. This powdered tree bark is loaded with antioxidants, which are known to reduce a person’s risk of heart disease. It is also thought to have a compound that can reduce inflammation.
- May help to reduce blood sugar levels. While it should never be used as a replacement for diabetes medications, it’s worth talking to your doctor about whether it would benefit your health care plan.
- Could help reduce cholesterol levels. Talk to your doctor if you want to add cinnamon to your diet through baking or other methods.
While it’s great to know that cinnamon may have some health benefits, most people view it as a tasty way to flavor their favorite recipes. Pancakes, in particular, can be transformed entirely with this favorite, familiar spice!
Basic Cinnamon Pancake Recipe
Nothing beats reaching into your pantry or cupboard for a packaged pancake mix. The best one you can buy is The Great American Pancakes Cinnamon Pancake and Waffle Mix. With this, you get the best ingredients for delicious, fluffy cakes.
If you find yourself out of mix but want to make cinnamon pancakes, you can follow a simple recipe. Here’s one you can use with common kitchen ingredients!
- ½ cup and 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp sugar (more or less to taste)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon (more or less to taste)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ cup milk (the higher the fat content, the richer the batter)
- One egg
- Combine all the dry ingredients (flour through salt in the ingredient list) in a large bowl. Stir until mixed.
- In a second bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients until just combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until just combined. Resist the urge to over-mix the batter. If you do, your pancakes won’t be as fluffy!
- Let the batter sit while you warm up your skillet or frying pan. Warm your skillet on medium. When heated, drop ¼ cup of batter onto the skillet, cook for two minutes on each side, and then remove from the heat. (If you’re new to cooking pancakes, you may over or undercook the first few attempts. You can always lift the edges of the pancake to see if the underside is cooked before flipping it!)
- Serve with butter and syrup or other toppings, and enjoy!
This basic recipe will let you make delicious, golden, cinnamon-flavored pancakes whenever you don’t have a mix on hand. It’s great to use until your next trip to the store or when you order more online!
Variations of Cinnamon Pancakes
It’s hard to imagine that cinnamon pancakes can be improved, but you can make some changes to shake things up around the table at home! Of course, you can always use the recipe above for these ideas, but a Cinnamon Pancake and Waffle Mix is much easier! Here are some ideas to get you inspired:
Homemade Cinnamon Syrup:
Simmer ½ cup maple syrup, one teaspoon cinnamon powder, and one cinnamon stick in a small saucepan on low heat for ten minutes, stirring constantly. Remove the syrup from the heat and serve warm!
Cinnamon Bun Pancakes:
To take your cinnamon pancake game to the next level, cinnamon bun pancakes using a boxed mix makes it look like you spent all night making these goodies. FoodNetwork.com has a great recipe to make this version. Don’t forget to get your mix so you can skip making your own pancake batter if you like!
Use Cinnamon Chips:
These are super easy, delicious, and fun! Instead of adding chocolate chips to your pancake batter, add cinnamon chips. These give each bite of your cakes a warm burst of sweet cinnamon!
Switch Out Milk for Buttermilk:
If the richest pancakes are what you’re after, add buttermilk instead of regular milk if your recipe calls for it. You can use a 1:1 replacement with this or adjust per taste.
Add Additional Vanilla:
If you want an equal balance of cinnamon and vanilla flavors, add more vanilla. Try to increase it by ½ tsp the first time and adjust to taste each time you whip up another batch!
Apple Pie Pancakes:
Adding apples to give your cinnamon pancakes that apple pie flavor is easier than you think! Get the batter ready and grate a small apple into the batter (the sweetness or tartness level is up to you!). Gently fold into the batter and follow the directions for cooking.
Sour Cream Delight:
The richest pancakes you’ll ever make is when you substitute half of your recipe’s liquid with sour cream. Make the recipe or mix as instructed using sour cream in place of half your water, milk, or other liquid.
Play with Toppings:
All kinds of toppings go well with cinnamon pancakes, including whipped cream, apple pie filling, chocolate syrup, and more. If you love a combination of toppings and cinnamon, use those ingredients and enjoy!
These are only a few ideas for making cinnamon pancakes that will thrill your family, grandkids, friends, or other guests at your table. Hopefully, they will inspire you to make your own variations specific to your taste!
Make the Best Cinnamon Pancakes Every Time With the Right Ingredients
A simple cinnamon pancake recipe will do if you don’t have a mix on hand, but it’s so much easier when you have plenty of mix in your kitchen. You can always have the most delicious, high-quality cinnamon pancakes when your pantry is fully stocked with The Great American Pancake Company’s Cinnamon Pancake and Waffle Mix. You’ll be guaranteed a pancake made from the best ingredients that are easy to make and a pleasure to serve your loved ones.
Don’t wait until the next time you run out of pancake mix to place an order. Instead, do it now so that you’ll always be ready no matter when you need your next Great American Pancake Company mix!